We recently let go of our former Blessing Food Bags @ Saint Miriam, an award winning outreach to the homeless and food insecure in our area, in order to bring about a stronger program to impact homelessness more deeply called Human First @ Saint Miriam.
This program extends primarily to greater Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and suburbs, and provides housing opportunities on our main campus, as well as nutritional and hygiene support to those living on the streets. We also open our lower parking lot area for our CarSafe Program in order to allow persons living in their car to have a safe place, along with support. Finally, we care for pets of those living on the streets and also feminine hygiene products and care for those who are transgender, as well.
One of the most wonderful aspects of our program is that we ask those who volunteer to take the our services into the streets to also engage with the receiving individual and bring their humanity to the surface. As our byline states clearly, our program is a “comprehensive approach to homelessness, placing the dignity of the human person first.”
Please support our efforts by purchasing supplies, offering your financial support, or volunteering to help us build our support bags or distribute supplies or inventory!
We operate out of two main outreach centers and seek volunteers to support us:
Kensington Center called, “The Love Lot”
Located in the Kensington area of Philadelphia, where we operate a tent site location on the corner of Ruth & Clearfield (1810 East Clearfield Street, Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134)
Where we offer:
- Food, nutritional and hygiene support
- Support/Wrap Around Services
- Public Health/Harm Reduction Work
- Safer Use Kit Distribution
- Needs Assessment and Referrals
- Transition Support through our partner agencies
“Dorothy’s Glenn” at Main Parish Campus
(currently under development)
Where we will offer:
- Small homes for transitional living up to 12 months based on a direct “Housing First” care model
- Garden and Chicken Coop for Farm to Table Cooperative
- ‘Work to Live’ Community Building
- Support, Guidance and Permanent Housing Referrals
Our internal outreach center is also located at our parish where volunteers construct nutrition and hygiene bags for those experiencing homelessness as well as food and toys for their pet companions,
Where we build:
- Nutritional Support Bags (2,000 calories each minimum)
- Hygiene Support Kits
- Pets, too
- New Socks and seasonal small clothing items
- Transgender support kits
How You Can Help:
On your first visit to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com) you will simply need to select a charitable organization, like Saint Miriam, to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. They will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make at smile.amazon.com will result in a donation to our parish and school! It really is that simple!
“Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don’t have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
We are looking for people to help us out from home!
Are you looking for a way to help us help others! We have a great opportunity that you can do from home … Help us make sandwiches! We will give you all the supplies you will need. Contact us here for more information or to help out!
We have a shopping list!
Our homeless outreach desperately needs supplies. Please help us to continue to help others by purchasing these needed items. You can purchase and drop off items or purchase via Amazon.
- Package of crackers (21 per pack)
- Granola Bar
- Napkin, fork, knife and spoon packets
- Small container apple-sauce or fruit mix
- Bumble bee Chicken Salad (small container)
- Individual container of pudding
- Small container of Vienna Sausages
- Single package of cheese and pretzels/ crackers Cinnamon twirl cake (1 little serving/individually wrapped cookie
- Packets of peanut butter
- Juice pack
- Tooth Paste
- Soap (mini bars)
- Body lotion (small bottles)
- Personal Care/Sanitization Wipes